A great man once said, "Politics is inherently stupid." That great man was me.

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Sign Detail!

Special thanks to "The Wild Duck" for supporting the "Blue Finger" Campaign!



Putting up signs for your candidate is a really gratifying experience. This is especially so when passing motorists honk their support twice, just like in the Stand Up For Canada ads. You almost feel like laughing and shouting it out loud for all to hear - thankfully though, you realize that this would make you look incredibly ridiculous before you actually do it.



"Sign Detail" is kind of a strategic game. You scout out good locations for signs and spot and repair any damaged or upturned ones. Aside from those people who are so partisan as to actually destroy the signs of opposing candidates (and unfortunately, they do exist), you also get your share of signs damaged or overturned by people who are really just out to "enjoy" some petty vandalism.



Thankfully I'm encountering very little of that, although I had to repair some smashed wood on one of our larger signs and nail down another one that someone had uprooted last night. If you're going out on sign detail, make sure you wear bright clothing or reflective safety vests or armbands at night - and God knows that it gets dark early this time of year (also, don't forget to eat your vegetables).



Things are looking good in our riding, so I'm very pleased about that. I'm hoping that the "5% GST" stickers that I strategically placed around high-traffic areas of my campus will remind people of which party has the best platform for Canadians. I haven't seen that large sign for the Liberal Candidate in my riding around the Campus Food Court lately, so the Tories are ahead in the visibility game. Score!



-Danté
|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

4 Old Comments:

I've been going door to door with the following four simple points. It's a simple way for me to pitch in, and I think it's working:

Here's what I say:

Vote Conservative if you...

1. Believe in a stronger military
2. Believe in a Christian Canada
3. Believe in protecting our children from the Gay Agenda
4. Believe in protecting our cities from Muslim attacks

The responses aren't always what I expect, but I have found a few "fellow travellers" along the way. The best feeling is when you tell these platform points to someone during a canvas and they respond happily; it makes you realize that conservativism -- true conservativism -- isn't dead in Canada.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:14 PM  

woah, woah - back up the truck there. Yeah, we all want a stronger military, and want Canada to be a place where you're not labeled a "bigot" because you're a Christian. But what's this "Gay Agenda" stuff? Be more careful about what you say: when people hear you say things like that, they think that you're a tinfoil hat wearing guy who believes "the queers are out to get us all and turn our kids gay." If you believe in traditional marriage, that's fine, but words like the ones you just used are like live hand grenades. And you have got to be careful about the whole "muslim attacks" thing, too. Muslims aren't out to get us - Islamofacist terrorists are.

You really have to be careful with what you say. Part of the reason some people are so hostile to Conservatism is because they get a distorted view of it and don't understand it for the pragmatic and rational viewpoint that it is. Be careful with your words.

By Blogger Danté, at 4:24 PM  

No kidding, I almost shit my pants when I read that comment.

I know what you mean about the strategic sign game, it is a lot of fun. It's kinda funny to think that I won't walk 10 mins to the convenience store for some Pepsi because it's too cold, but I have no problem volunteering for hours each week on signs or Lit drops

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:41 PM  

Anonymous...please take Dante's advice and stick to the actual platform. The last election was lost because people focused on SSM, and all the policies were left in the background.VF

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:16 AM