A great man once said, "Politics is inherently stupid." That great man was me.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

I'm No General...

But why on earth didn't NATO Forces close the gap and encircle Taliban Forces in Operation Medusa?

Every map I've seen of the battle plan for Medusa shows two parallel arms moving towards each other in a vise, with Taliban forces in the centre and a third arm of Nato troops on one side of the vise. However, Taliban forces could escape by running the gauntlet to the other side of the formation. Evidently enough did, as a US commander confirms that the offensive ended on September 15 when Taliban forces slipped away.

What I want to know is: why weren't Taliban forces encircled in a pocket? Apparently, NATO forces still killed a lot of them - but could they have finished off more? Or am I mistaken about the nature of the battle plan?

Just wondering.
|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

0 Old Comments: