A great man once said, "Politics is inherently stupid." That great man was me.

Friday, September 22, 2006

It's Friday, I'm Tickled Red

Between President Hamid Karzai's visit, Prime Minister Harper's speech, and the massive rally of support for our troops on Parliament hill today, I'm in an outstanding mood.

The rally shows Canada just how much support there really is for our troops and for our mission in Afghanistan, and is a firm blow to those who would call our noble mission "increasingly unpopular" in the pursuit of political gain. Today, our very own eyes tell us otherwise.

President Karzai's visit also reinforces the importance of the Afghan mission. His very presence solidifies the international credibility of our new government and Prime Minister, and brings home the reality of Afghanistan to the Canadian people. It's all well and good to talk about what we're doing "over there," but "over there" is a concept, a reality far removed from every day Canadian life. Karzai's presence reminds people that Afghanistan is quite real, and that its people are in grave need of our help. Canadians are good people - when confronted with this reality, they will not turn away.

Finally - forgive my puerility, but may I also comment on the state of my delight when I heard that Karzai refused to meet with Jack Layton. Ouch. I'll bet that smarts.
|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

0 Old Comments: