A great man once said, "Politics is inherently stupid." That great man was me.

Sunday, October 01, 2006

On Abortion

This is my contribution to Suzanne's pro-life blogburst over at "Big Blue Wave." Excellent idea, Suzanne.

I am opposed to abortion. While in other areas of social policy (i.e. same sex marriage) I can consider myself a moderate, it is this stand that will always cause people to place me in the "social conservative" column. Fair enough. So here we go.

The only incidences in which I believe abortion should be considered are those where the mother's life is truly in danger. That being said, the percentage of abortions actually performed to save the lives of mothers is miniscule.


Why women have abortions
1% of all abortions occur because of rape or incest; 6% of abortions occur because of potential health problems regarding either the mother or child, and 93% of all abortions occur for social reasons (i.e. the child is unwanted or inconvenient). *

As it stands, the facts themselves show that almost all abortions are performed "out of convenience." This shatters the "what about rape?" and "what about if the woman's life is in danger?" arguments used by pro-abortion groups. My answer to those questions is simple - fine. That still leaves us with a figure of 93% abortions that are entirely unnecessary. (I don't believe in killing children for the sins of their fathers, and that applies to rape. That, however, is a topic for another time).

Just think about that shocking number. 93% of abortions that take place could have been prevented simply by the use of a piece of latex that can be bought at your local drugstore. And yet, due to the complete lack of responsibility exercised by those engaging in unprotected sex, millions are sentenced to death each year, simply because they are "inconvenient." That same argument has been used to justify genocide over and over again down through the years. It saddens me to think that even in the twenty-first century, we have not yet learned to value human life.

Many oppose abortion on religious grounds. The vast majority of those who oppose abortion on these grounds do it because they know that it is morally wrong, not because "Jesus said so." Unfortunately, religion tends to be the frame through which the abortion debate is viewed, and for this reason it is imperative that religious groups opposed to abortion approach the issue from a secular viewpoint. It comes down to this: people understand that there are a multitude of religions out there. They also understand that, according to modern secular thought, no one religion is "right." As a result of this, many people view the pro-life viewpoint as a religious belief and not as a critical viewpoint based on hard facts. While I value the overwhelming support of pro-life religious organizations, I get a little irritated when they start singing psalms and hymns at pro-life rallies (I say this as a practicing Catholic, no less). It simply muddles our argument for the protection and care of human life.

I oppose abortion from a secular and scientific viewpoint. I say this as someone completing his final year of a bachelor of science degree and majoring in Biology. Any first year biology textbook defines a life cycle as beginning at fertilization and ending at reproduction/death. The moment a haploid gamete fuses with another haploid gamete to form a diploid embryo, that new organism is alive, and no arts major "abortion-rights" activist has any business lecturing me on the science involved.

Look at it logically, even. I'm alive now. However, if my parents had "aborted" me, I would not be here writing this right now. I would not be alive. I submit to you that logically, the opposite of life is death. It follows therefore that my parents would have had to have done something to cause my death. And what would that something have been? Abortion. Case closed.

There will be no convincing so called "abortion-rights" activists of the horror of what they advocate. All pro-life individuals can continue to do is to inform people of the reality of what abortion is, and hope that sensible people will take note.
|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

0 Old Comments: