A great man once said, "Politics is inherently stupid." That great man was me.

Friday, March 02, 2007

On Comment Moderation

EDIT: as a science student, I must clarify that I'm speaking from anecdotal evidence. No, I haven't conducted a study to prove what I'm saying. Nor do I believe that it is necessary.

Yes, bloggers from both the left and right censor comments - what I'm trying to say is that I find Conservative bloggers are far more lenient when it comes to their comments policy (from my own personal experience). I've tried to leave sympathy messages on certain liberal blogs when certain tragic things have happened, only to find out that I've been banned from commenting for some more or less coherent and rational thing that I've said (as you may have guessed, I'm no troll).

Both conservative and liberal bloggers will moderate their comments, I simply find that liberal bloggers do it more often.


I know I've discussed this before, but a post at Halls of Macadamia sparked my interest in it again.

The reason so many left-wing blogs have comment-moderation turned on comes down to a matter of fundamental political beliefs. Left-wingers believe in the principal of control. Everything and everyone must be controlled and must act in the proper, liberal-approved fashion. People can't be trusted to act properly on their own. Conservatives, on the other hand, strongly believe in personal freedom.

It's for this reason that I don't moderate comments on my blog. Hell, the more people get annoyed or upset at something someone says in the comments, the livelier the debates become and the more attention and traffic it attracts. I've only ever deleted one comment, and that was because it held the most foul racist slur I've ever seen. The only people I've ever banned are spammers. Contrast that with Rabble's excessively liberal use of the ban-hammer for those with opposing political views.

For the left, it's simple: the way to win is to shout down your opponents and restrict their ability to spread their message. Why else do you think SOW never sent a dime to REAL Women, while groups like LEAF got a glut of funding?

Conservatives trust on the truth of their message to win the day. Liberals trust in not letting the other guy speak at all.

Labels:

|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

0 Old Comments: