A great man once said, "Politics is inherently stupid." That great man was me.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

300

I've noticed a lot of cheerleading for this rather dull movie across the blogosphere lately. Personally, I found plot poorly laid out and the script wooden. The violence was so glorified, it felt like I was watching someone playing a poorly-made video game. It was far too cheesy at more points than I care to discuss.

My criticism of the plot/acting/directing/everything else aside, a lot of people out there seem to love the presentation of brave Spartans standing up against the armies of the 'tyrannical dictator' Xerxes I, laying their lives on the line in the name of freedom and liberty from despotism.

I couldn't help but roll my eyes, however, when Brave Leonidas 'passionately' spoke to his men about their fight being one for the freedom and liberty of their wives, children, and those back at home. The concept of Spartan liberty is highly exaggerated by this movie. Heck, don't take my word for it, just ask the Helots. You've got to laugh when a fictionalized society preaches freedom, while the real one actively enslaved a population far greater than their own (so much so that they required an army of spies to report on potential threats to the social order).

--edit--
It seems that I accidentally updated the timestamp to 2:43 pm instead of 2:43 am as I had meant to when I updated the post - unfortunately this meant that the post stayed at the top of the blogroll for a very long period of time, for which I apologize. Thanks to Brian for pointing that out - my bad.

Labels: , ,

|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

0 Old Comments: